smb://

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Thu Dec 28 17:44:32 GMT 2000

> On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 11:58:43PM -0500, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:
> >
> > [the workgroup] is _only for browsing_ under rare
> > cases where the name of the workgroup of intrest is not the same as
> > the authentication domain.
>
> Ok, before everyone hits me in the head with a rubber bat at once,
> perhaps I can correct myself. It is by no means rare for the domain to
> be different from the workgroup. It is likely that large networks be
> divided up into different netbios workgroups and have users authenticate
> under one domain. So the workgroup name and domain name for these users
> would be different *by default*.
>
> For this reason there should be separate workgroup and domain
> configuration parameters. I think specifying the workgroup# in the URL
> is really only usefull in the case of "trust relationships" or if you
> happen to not have your default workgroup defined?

Um...  If you check out the configuration screens on Windows boxen, I
believe that you can only be a member of one workgroup *or* ntdomain.
This is true for both cleints and servers.

It *may* be that NT allows a different workgroup or ntdomain per
interface, but that's a wild guess on my part.  I really don't know.  On
a W/9x box the workgroup or ntdomain is global.

Samba can be set up to run virtual servers, I believe.  I don't know if it
is done much.

Having said all that, if there are multiple workgroups/ntdomains available
on a given LAN then you might browse workgroup/ntdomain "fred"  and find a
server named "goob".  The only reason you would need to specify a domain
name is if service "goob" uses Domain Controller authentication, has a
trust relationship with another NTDomain (eg. "agnes"), and your only
login is to "agnes".  In that case, you would specify the ntdomain to
which to supply your credentials, as in:

  smb://mike@agnes:mbapasswd@goob/

The above (or a variation of the above, depending upon the syntax we
finally decide upon) would present your credentials to the PDC for
ntdomain "agnes", which would in turn allow you--due to the trust
relationship--to get the list of services on node goob.

Chris -)-----