smb://

Michael B. Allen mballen at erols.com
Thu Dec 28 06:46:41 GMT 2000

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 11:58:43PM -0500, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:

> [the workgroup] is _only for browsing_ under rare
> cases where the name of the workgroup of intrest is not the same as
> the authentication domain.

Ok, before everyone hits me in the head with a rubber bat at once,
perhaps I can correct myself. It is by no means rare for the domain to
be different from the workgroup. It is likely that large networks be
divided up into different netbios workgroups and have users authenticate
under one domain. So the workgroup name and domain name for these users
would be different *by default*.

For this reason there should be separate workgroup and domain
configuration parameters. I think specifying the workgroup# in the URL
is really only usefull in the case of "trust relationships" or if you
happen to not have your default workgroup defined?

Mike

--
signature pending