warnings on compile

Tim Potter tpot at linuxcare.com.au
Fri Dec 15 02:20:44 GMT 2000

Jeremy Allison writes:

> >         Hi there, I am trying to install samba on an ftp server running
> > freebsd 4.1 I am getting the following warning repeated many times on the
> > initial make (I did run the configure step first, and I consulted the
> > appropriate readme documents)
> >         Warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp
> >         As the security on microsoft products are suspect at best, I do not
> > want to add to the insecurity of the network by adding insecure binaries on
> > the unix platform if it can be avoided. Is there some kind of switch or
> > other modification that will allow the compile to use mkstemp() and not
> > generate this message. any other suggestions
>
> The warning is wrong. mktemp is being used securely in Samba.

Well the warning is technically right - mktmp() may *possibly* be
used unsafely but it isn't in this case.  (-:

It's a pretty annoying error though.  I wonder if it's possible
to patch gcc to determine whether the O_EXCL flag is not being
used and then print out the warning rather than always doing it.

Tim.