Linkage dependencies

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Tue Dec 5 17:50:19 GMT 2000

"Mayers, Philip J" wrote:

> All,
>
> The SMB extended security support (which is
> currently stalled waiting on an "outside party" <ahem>)
> uses the prs_init and smb_io_rpc_auth_ntlmssp_* functions
> - these are already linked into smbd, but not libsmb -
> so now libsmb depends on the RPC parsing functions, which
> in turn depend on the passdb functions.

the client side RPC's should be in a spearate library i think.
libmsrpc.[a|so]

So to summarize, I think we should have

  o libsmb.a
  o libmsrpc.a
  o passdb.a

> Is this ok? I don't believe it's sensible to have
> two sets of functions that (un)marshall/process the same
> thing, but the linkage dependencies make me uncertain
> (especially if the guys from Caldera are splitting out libsmb
> as a separate library). Note that if my hunch is right,
> the RPC auth code might need reworking too, making
> them more tightly dependent on each other.

Could you describe the actually dependencies more
(i haven't dig through the current code for this).
Or point me towards a previous summary in the archives.
What structures / functions exactrly are causing the problems?

 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org
       http://www.plainjoe.org/                     jerry at plainjoe.org

                                - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )