smbmout using ssh forwarding

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Dec 1 18:51:46 GMT 2000

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Nadeem Hasan wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong here. Are you suggesting samba with ssl
> support? If yes, then I don't think that is an issue. I am
> trying to tunnel SMB traffic through ssh port forwarding.
> All the encryption/decryption is handled by SSH client/server.
> It should be transparent to samba itself.

> BTW, I forgot to mention something. When I used smbclient with
> -L option, it worked and showed me all the shares.

> remote:~ # smbclient -L localhost -p 8004 -Uuserxx
> added interface ip=xx.xx.xx.xx bcast=xx.xx.xx.xx nmask=255.255.255.248
> Password:
> Domain=[WGRP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.6]

>         Sharename      Type      Comment
>         ---------      ----      -------
>         docroot        Disk      docroot
> 	and so on....

Nadeem,

The netbios name that you use (//<netbios name>/ for smbmount, or the name
following the -L option in smbclient) is not just used for looking up the IP
of the SMB server, it is also passed to the server as part of the session
setup.  Not all SMB servers will respond politely if the netbios name you use
doesn't match the one that's been declared in the server configuration.  If
the server's name is "flarn", you must call smbmount //flarn/userxx, not
smbmount //localhost/userxx, and pass the IP 127.0.0.1 as an option.  I'm not
sure this is currently supported by smbmount;  if it isn't, it would certainly
be useful to have this support added.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer