VFS

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Wed Aug 30 13:16:38 GMT 2000

Chris Farey wrote:
> Why do you think that? My suggestion is that perhaps the best
> place to do the mapping is in the VFS layer, rather than higher
> up in Samba itself. Are there good reasons (e.g. performance)
> why this is not the case?

	I'd argue seperation of concerns: the VFS does one
	simple thing well, and samba does a complex thing
	without worrying about underlying filesystems.

	[I may be taking us off on a tangent with this
	discussion: the VFS is really a means of adding
	features than adapting to different filesystems]

> Off topic, has anyone in the Samba team looked into the possibility of
> supporting Unicode, and mapping it to UTF-8 characters?

	Oner of the team members will have to answer that: I'm
	just an occasional patch contributor...

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com