VFS

Chris Farey cfarey at eurologic.com
Wed Aug 30 12:25:31 GMT 2000

David Collier-Brown wrote:

>         Samba is a mapping of Windows SMB semantics onto
>         Unix file- (and printing-) systems,

Agreed.

>         so the things
>         which are specific to Windows and NT should not flow
>         right through into the filesystem "below" it.

Why do you think that? My suggestion is that perhaps the best
place to do the mapping is in the VFS layer, rather than higher
up in Samba itself. Are there good reasons (e.g. performance)
why this is not the case?

>         The best counter-arguement to what I claimed
>         is the possibility of Linux supporting R/W NT
>         filesystems in the foreseeable future: it would
>         be silly to translate unicode filenames to ascii
>         and then back again inside Samba (;-))

Off topic, has anyone in the Samba team looked into the possibility of
supporting Unicode, and mapping it to UTF-8 characters?

Chris Farey	Eurologic Systems	cfarey at eurologic.com