dce/rpc "client" api

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu Aug 24 04:04:39 GMT 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > take a look at api_NetWkstaUserInfo.  what parallels do you see between
> > the data returned and the full NT user3 struct?
> >
> > to my eye, they look pretty much the same.
>
> My concern about the use of things like the NT user3 structure as a
> central data structure in Samba isn't that it is large, or that it has
> excess baggage. My concern is that it ties our internals to one
> particular structure in NT.
>
> This might become a problem if/when NT starts using a info level 6
> structure over the wire that has a few more fields than a level 3
> structure. We would then either have to fake up the extra fields or we
> would have to move to using a different core structure in Samba and we
> would have to add translation functions for clients that ask for the
> "old" user3 structure.

microsoft will have exactly the same problem.  in fact, they already
did!!!! they upped from NET_USER_INFO_2 to NET_USER_INFO_3 from nt 3.5 to
nt 4.0.

and as we know, if _microsoft_ manages to cope with it, they will come up
with a solution.

if _they_ come up with a solution, then _we_ certainly can, too.