dce/rpc "client" api

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Wed Aug 23 19:46:51 GMT 2000

"Cole, Timothy D." wrote:

>         There are a lot more things you can do with DCE/RPC and NT than just
> serving files/printers and providing domain authentication, and Samba isn't
> going to be offering any of them.

Yet. And anyway, there are perfectly good DCE/RPC implementations
available for UNIX already, over TCP transport.

Very few apps use DCE - ask yourself why ?

>         I can imagine someone saying "Samba is crap" because, for example,
> they couldn't run a hypothetical GPLed Exchange clone together with Samba,
> just becase Samba is sitting on DCE/RPC over SMB and not sharing.

I can't - because to implement a hypothetical GPLed Exchange
clone they'll probably have re-used lots of the Samba DCE
code and we'll be co-operating with them and loading their
.so library in order to pass messages to them over the SMB
transport :-).

Call me when you've got a *real* product with such a complaint,
not a hypothetical one.

:-).

Jeremy.