dce/rpc "client" api

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Aug 22 06:19:40 GMT 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > ok, that takes care of the issue of wondering about which pipe to use.  it
> > doesn't take care of the passive / active initialisation.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "passive / active
> initialisation". Perhaps you could explain? I did a quick search for
> "passive" in my unread emails and can't find anything that matches.

:)

ok.  by "passive" i mean that the .so has to be loaded by smbd.
everything has to be initiated by smbd.  the API has to be developed and
specified such that smbd is responsible for initiating connections and
initialisation of structures / databases etc that the .so requires.

by "active" i mean that a service is responsible for its _own_
initialisation.  it is responsible for "actively" registering itself with
an endport mapper.  smbd then becomes "aware", dynamically, that certain
services are available.  smbd does not have to "initiate" such services.