Long File name

Alfred Appiah aappiah at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 04:11:08 GMT 2000

> >>>>>   Long file Name
 I am running Redhat 6.2 and the samba package
> that comes with this version . After configuring
> samba and
 creating a  share called "apps", I am able to
> see and map the share from a win98 box .
> >     However when I try to copy  from the 98 box to
> the samba box . I get  the message " The destination
> > folder does not support long file names " I am
then
> > prsented with a dialog box to rename the file or
> > folder to a DOS 8.3 style
> >    What do I have to do to enable long File name
> > support on the samba box ?, do I have to create a
> new MSDOS filesystem ?
> >   Any suggestion or feedback appreciated .
> >
> > Thanks Alfred
> >

> > # This is the main Samba configuration file. You
> > should read the
> > # smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand
the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable
options (perhaps too
 # many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
> > (hash)
> > # is a comment and is ignored. In this example we
> will
> > use a #
> > # for commentry and a ; for parts of the config
file
> > that you
> > # may wish to enable
> > #
> > # NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should
run
> > the command "testparm"
> > # to check that you have not many any basic
> syntactic
> > errors.
> > #
> > [global]
> >     null passwords = yes
> >     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> >     printcap name = /etc/printcap
> >     max log size = 100
> >     default = global
> >     dns proxy = no
> >     preferred master = no
> >     server string = Smiles Samba Server
> >     workgroup = appiah_domain
> >     protocol = CORE
> >     netbios name = Smiles
> >     socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
> > SO_SNDBUF=8192
> >     load printers = yes
> >     wins server = 130.248.231.19
> >     security = user
> >     username map = /etc/user.map
> >
> > [global]
> >
> > # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
> >    workgroup = appiah_domain
> >
> > # server string is the equivalent of the NT
> > Description field
> >    server string = Samba Server
> >
> > # This option is important for security. It allows
> you
> > to restrict
> > # connections to machines which are on your local
> > network. The
> > # following example restricts access to two C
class
> > networks and
> > # the "loopback" interface. For more examples of
the
> > syntax see
> > # the smb.conf man page
> > ;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
> >
> > # if you want to automatically load your printer
> list
> > rather
> > # than setting them up individually then you'll
need
> > this
> >    printcap name = /etc/printcap
> >    load printers = yes
> >
> > # It should not be necessary to spell out the
print
> > system type unless
> > # yours is non-standard. Currently supported print
> > systems include:
> > # bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
> > ;   printing = bsd
> >
> > # Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you
> must
> > add this to /etc/passwd
> > # otherwise the user "nobody" is used
> > ;  guest account = pcguest
> >
> > # this tells Samba to use a separate log file for
> each
> > machine
> > # that connects
> >    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> >
> > # Put a capping on the size of the log files (in
> Kb).
> >    max log size = 50
> >
> > # Security mode. Most people will want user level
> > security. See
> > # security_level.txt for details.
> >    security = user
> > # Use password server option only with security =
> > server
> > ;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>
> >
> > # Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters
> of
> > the password for
> > # all combinations of upper and lower case.
> > ;  password level = 8
> > ;  username level = 8
> >
> > # You may wish to use password encryption. Please
> read
> > # ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the
> Samba
> > documentation.
> > # Do not enable this option unless you have read
> those
> > documents
> > ;  encrypt passwords = yes
> > ;  smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
> >
> > # The following are needed to allow password
> changing
> > from Windows to
> > # update the Linux sytsem password also.
> > # NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and
'smb
> > passwd file' above.
> > # NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow
workstations
> > to change only
> > #        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow
the
> > Unix password
> > #        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
> > ;  unix password sync = Yes
> > ;  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> > ;  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
> > *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

> > # Unix users can map to different SMB User names
> > ;  username map = /etc/smbusers
> >
> > # Using the following line enables you to
customise
> > your configuration
> > # on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced
with
> > the netbios name
> > # of the machine that is connecting
> > ;   include = /etc/smb.conf.%m
> >
> > # Most people will find that this option gives
> better
> > performance.
> > # See speed.txt and the manual pages for details
> >    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
> > SO_SNDBUF=8192
> >
> > # Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
> > # If you have multiple network interfaces then you
> > must list them
> > # here. See the man page for details.
> > ;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24
> >
> > # Configure remote browse list synchronisation
here
> > #  request announcement to, or browse list sync
> from:
> > #   a specific host or from / to a whole subnet
(see
> > below)
> > ;   remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25
192.168.5.255
> > # Cause this host to announce itself to local
> subnets
> > here
> > ;   remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44
> >
> > # Browser Control Options:
> > # set local master to no if you don't want Samba
> > become a master
> > # browser on your network. Otherwise the normal
> > election rules apply
> > ;   local master = no
> >
> > # OS Level determines the precedence of this
server
> in
> > master browser
> > # elections. The default value should be
reasonable
> > ;   os level = 33
> >
> > # Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain
> > Master Browser. This
> > # allows Samba to collate browse lists between
> > subnets. Don't use this
> > # if you already have a Windows NT domain
controller
> > doing this job
> > ;   domain master = yes
> >
> > # Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local
> > browser election on startup
> > # and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning
> the
> > election
> > ;   preferred master = yes
> >
> > # Use only if you have an NT server on your
network
> > that has been
> > # configured at install time to be a primary
domain
> > controller.
> > ;   domain controller =
> <NT-Domain-Controller-SMBName>
> >
> > # Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain
logon
> > server for
> > # Windows95 workstations.
> > ;   domain logons = yes
> >
> > # if you enable domain logons then you may want a
> > per-machine or
> > # per user logon script
> > # run a specific logon batch file per workstation
> > (machine)
> > ;   logon script = %m.bat
> > # run a specific logon batch file per username
> > ;   logon script = %U.bat
> >
> > # Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95
and
> > WinNT)
> > #        %L substitutes for this servers netbios
> name,
> > %U is username
> > #        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share
> below
> > ;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
> >
> > # All NetBIOS names must be resolved to IP
Addresses
> > # 'Name Resolve Order' allows the named resolution
> > mechanism to be specified
> > # the default order is "host lmhosts wins bcast".
> > "host" means use the unix
> > # system gethostbyname() function call that will
use
> > either /etc/hosts OR
> > # DNS or NIS depending on the settings of
> > /etc/host.config, /etc/nsswitch.conf
> > # and the /etc/resolv.conf file. "host" therefore
is
> > system configuration
> > # dependant. This parameter is most often of use
> > prevent DNS lookups
> > # in order to resolve NetBIOS names to IP
Addresses.
> > Use with care!
> > # The example below excludes use of name
resolution
> > for machines that are NOT
> > # on the local network segment
> > # - OR - are not deliberately to be known via
> lmhosts
> > or via WINS.
> > ; name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
> >
> > # Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
> > # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba
> > enable it's WINS Server
> > ;   wins support = yes
> >
> > # WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba
> > be a WINS Client
> > #   Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a
WINS
> > Client, but NOT both
> > ;   wins server = w.x.y.z
> >
> > # WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name
resolution
> > queries on
> > # behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to
> > work there must be
> > # at least one      WINS Server on the network.
The
> default
> > is NO.
> > ;   wins proxy = yes
> >
> > # DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to
> > resolve NetBIOS names
> > # via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for
> versions
> > 1.9.17 is yes,
> > # this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
> >    dns proxy = no
> >
> > # Case Preservation can be handy - system default
is
> > _no_
> > # NOTE: These can be set on a per share basis
> > ;  preserve case = no
> > ;  short preserve case = no
> > # Default case is normally upper case for all DOS
> > files
> > ;  default case = lower
> > # Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can
> break
> > things!
> > ;  case sensitive = no
> >
> > #============================ Share Definitions
> > ==============================
> > [homes]
> >    comment = Home Directories
> >    browseable = no
> >    writable = yes
> >
> > # Un-comment the following and create the netlogon
> > directory for Domain Logons
> > ; [netlogon]
> > ;   comment = Network Logon Service
> > ;   path = /home/netlogon
> > ;   guest ok = yes
> > ;   writable = no
> > ;   share modes = no
> >

> > # Un-comment the following to provide a specific
> > roving profile share
> > # the default is to use the user's home directory
> > ;[Profiles]
> > ;    path = /home/profiles
> > ;    browseable = no
> > ;    guest ok = yes
> >

> > # NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there
> is
> > no need to
> > # specifically define each individual printer
> > [printers]
> >    comment = All Printers
> >    path = /var/spool/samba
> >    browseable = no
> > # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account'
> > print
> >    guest ok = no
> >    writable = no
> >    printable = yes
> >
> > # This one is useful for people to share files
> > ;[tmp]
> > ;   comment = Temporary file space
> > ;   path = /tmp
> > ;   read only = no
> > ;   public = yes
> >
> > # A publicly accessible directory, but read only,
> > except for people in
> > # the "staff" group
> > ;[public]
> > ;   comment = Public Stuff
> > ;   path = /home/samba
> > ;   public = yes
> > ;   writable = yes
> > ;   printable = no
> > ;   write list = @staff
> >
> > # Other examples.
> > #
> > # A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool
data
> > will be placed in fred's
> > # home directory. Note that fred must have write
> > access to the spool directory,
> > # wherever it is.
> > ;[fredsprn]
> > ;   comment = Fred's Printer
> > ;   valid users = fred
> > ;   path = /homes/fred
> > ;   printer = freds_printer
> > ;   public = no
> > ;   writable = no
> > ;   printable = yes
> >
> > # A private directory, usable only by fred. Note
> that
> > fred requires write
> > # access to the directory.
> > ;[fredsdir]
> > ;   comment = Fred's Service
> > ;   path = /usr/somewhere/private
> > ;   valid users = fred
> > ;   public = no
> > ;   writable = yes
> > ;   printable = no
> >
> > # a service which has a different directory for
each
> > machine that connects
> > # this allows you to tailor configurations to
> incoming
> > machines. You could
> > # also use the %u option to tailor it by user
name.
> > # The %m gets replaced with the machine name that
is
> > connecting.
> > ;[pchome]
> > ;  comment = PC Directories
> > ;  path = /usr/pc/%m
> > ;  public = no
> > ;  writable = yes
> >
> > # A publicly accessible directory, read/write to
all
> > users. Note that all files
> > # created in the directory by users will be owned
by
> > the default user, so
> > # any user with access can delete any other user's
> > files. Obviously this
> > # directory must be writable by the default user.
> > Another user could of course
> > # be specified, in which case all files would be
> owned
> > by that user instead.
> > ;[public]
> > ;   path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
> > ;   public = yes
> > ;   only guest = yes
> > ;   writable = yes
> > ;   printable = no
> >
> > # The following two entries demonstrate how to
share
> > directory so that two
> > # users can place files there that will be owned
by