[OT but please read] ORBS blacklisting ns1.samba.org

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Aug 22 02:28:39 GMT 2000

For those using the ORBS service, I recommend that you look into Paul
Vixie's MAPS project:

  http://mail-abuse.org/

MAPS has a somewhat better reputation for responsible blacklist
management.  The ISP I use from home is ORBS blacklisted.  Not because of
open relays, but because they won't allow ORBS to randomly probe them.

Chris -)-----

> Some lists and emails are distributed via ns1.samba.org.  For those of
> you that use ORBS, you'll find it is blacklisted now. There is no
> mention of it on the website and it doesn't return a positive when you
> enter it for testing but it has slipped into the ORBS blacklist
> somewhere.
>
> Samba.org admins may wish to force all ns1 outbound email via another
> netblock, bringing it up to ORBS only seems to get more of your netblock
> blacklisted.
>
> In the meantime, those of you who mysteriously don't get emails from
> samba lists may magically get them again after you grant explicit access
> to ns1.samba.org [203.17.0.92].
>
> -d
>
> --
> "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
> eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was
> 'committed'."

[Attachment, skipping...]