"smbclient" does not resolve using WINS

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sat Apr 29 10:25:21 GMT 2000

At 07:41 AM 4/30/00 +1000, Steffen Moser wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am using "samba-2.0.7" and I am experiencing the following problem:
>
>Machine A is configured as a WINS ("wins support = yes" in "smb.conf").
>When I try to run the following command on machine A:
>
>  "smbclient -M vm01"

[Evidence for non-working WINS lookup stuff deleted]

>If you are running "smbclient" on a samba machine that uses another
>machine as a WINS server ("wins server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"), "smbclient"
>uses the WINS database of "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to resolve NetBIOS names
>without any problems.
>
>The same thing happens when using "samba-2.0.6", so it is not a special
>"2.0.7"-topic.
>
>The same thing does not only happen with "smbclient -M". It occurs also
>when doing an regular "smbclient"-access.
>
>Has anybody experienced the same problem, yet? Is it a bug or a
>misconfiguration of my system?

Well, it could be a mis-configuration, but you did not show us your
smb.conf file.

However, a long time ago, I fixed a bug where smbclient would not look up
via WINS when  the WINS server was on the same machine that the client was
running on. Maybe that code has been distrubed.

I might look at it soon, depending on how my new Samba book is going :-)

>Bye,
>Steffen

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course