Network browsing and Samba

Clifford, Tom TClifford at tricord.com
Mon Apr 17 21:39:00 GMT 2000

Hmmm.... Then this may explain why it only kinda works.  Though I haven't
seen any docs that state this.  How then is the recommended method of
getting the NetBIOS name of a samba system to appear in the Windows based
client browse lists?

> > samba server shows up in the browse list.
> >
> > If I use the netmask technique described in
> "BROWSING-Config.txt", it
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > If I setup the NT Server as a WINS server, and set smb.conf
> "wins server" to
> > the IP address of the NT server, the NT WINS software receives the
> > registered name, but it still doesn't appear in the browse
> list.  (btw. The
>
> Did you go to NT server manager and register your samba as a
> server for your
> domain?
> And then did you configure your samba server to join the NT domain ?

No domain involve here.  Both machines are members of the
workgroup WORKGROUP.  Also (with the exception of attempting
WINS on the NT Server), there are no ancillary services running
on this network of two machines connected to a HUB
(e.g. no DNS, no DHCP, no WINS on the samba system).