browse defaults

Matt Chapman matty at cifs.org
Sat Sep 25 17:05:58 GMT 1999

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 02:47:55AM +1000, Gerald Carter wrote:

> I have had one group of people froma  Windows shop
> comment that Samba screws up their browsing becasue
> people will install a linux box running Samba that takes
> over the locxal browse master position but is not
> configured to point at WINS.

And what, they don't complain when a Windows box does this?
I've personally seen countless browsing problems from poorly
configured Win95 boxes spontaneously taking over LMB.

> However the general comment was that Samba does not
> plop into an existing network (plopped down by an
> inexperienced admin) and play fair.

In what way? I should think Samba does very little intrusive
in its default configuration. How much lower than "os level = 0"
can you go?

Or did they do something darn silly themselves like setting
"domain logons"? Maybe we should make the configuration file
immutable? :-)

> One possible solution would be to simply provide
> better (and possiblt multiple) default configuration
> files based upon the propsed usage.  For example,
> have a setup script that asks questions to attempt
> to determin ethe environment in wehich the server
> will run.

I think this is a good idea (I remember Debian GNU/Linux packages
do something like this?)... but a large number of users will
still be installing from rpm and other formats which require
non-interactive installation scripts, so we need to arrive some
reasonable defaults anyway.

	Matt

--
Matthew "Austin" Chapman