[Fwd: Odd resource byte/name query]

Bobo Rajec bobo at bspc.sk
Mon Sep 13 13:07:36 GMT 1999

On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 02:08:21AM +1000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> no, i've seen this lookup come from an nt 4.0 workstation that, to the
> best of my knowledge, had nothing installed on it.  i don't trust this.
>
> On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>
> > For what it's worth, 0x52 translates to 'R', which means that the full
> > string is: JSPNRMPTGSBSSDIR

I too saw this, but they were DNS packets coming from an NT server
running Microsoft DNS server, which was secondary to my BIND box. It
stopped after I removed MS DNS server from the machine and put NT BIND
on it.

I thought it was just some weird method of discovering whether the
master server runs MS DNS server or something else.

Regards,
	bobo rajec