smb/cifs documentation/rationale

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Sep 7 17:09:52 GMT 1999

The document you've got there (draft-leach-...) was produced a while
back.  I believe that it has expired.

CIFS (aka, SMB) grew up in a very different way than NFS.  The SMB
protocol (which was renamed CIFS when the original IETF drafts were made
available in 1997) is just the file sharing portion of the suite.
Current implementations also require a NetBIOS emulation layer, and then
there's browsing, Domain Control, etc.

Take a look at http://jcifs.samba.org/
We've been trying to collect helpful documentation.

Chris -)-----

--
             -- I have a shoehorn, the kind with teeth. --
                                  ---