smb/cifs documentation/rationale

John S. Yates, Jr yates at mediaone.net
Mon Sep 6 14:25:27 GMT 1999

I am trying to come up to speed on CIFS.  I would like to
understand just that subset of the protocol that would be
used between two winnt boxes.  I have a copy of

 ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-leach-cifs-v1-spec-01.txt

Is this the best available spec?  I understand the need for
testing real servers to determine actual practice.  Right now
though I just want something that in hard copy is easier to
read and digest.

The NFS v4 effort has produced a similar raw ascii draft

 www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-00.txt

This document is much more consistent in its use of conventions
and is available in html for from

 playground.sun.com/pub/nfsv4/draft/draft-ietf-nfsv4-00.html

All pointers appreciated,

/john