Samba 2.0.6pre1: feedback

Stephen Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Oct 15 23:19:52 GMT 1999

I snagged the 2.0.6pre package and installed it, and have been playing.  No
obvious problems so far, except one:  I have a Linux machine with a rather
unique network configuration, in that its primary interface is an ethernet
device configured as a unicast subnet.  nmbd refuses to start on my machine,
claiming in the logs

[1999/10/13 19:57:36, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(807)
  ERROR: Failed when creating subnet lists. Exiting.

Is this a problem only with bizarre ethernet configurations like mine, or is
it a problem for all machines which don't have interfaces configured as
broadcast media?  I can certainly imagine someone wanting to run Samba on
a home machine connected to their employer's network through a dialup
connection.  In a situation such as this, wouldn't it beneficial for nmbd to
be there for proper WINS handling?
With Samba 2.0.5a, I could force nmbd to use a /32 subnet, and browsing,
WINS, etc. all worked fine that I could see.

Also, adding an 'interfaces = eth0' line to my smb.conf doesn't help.

TIA,
-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer