"Using Samba" adopted as official Samba book

Andrew Tridgell tridge at linuxcare.com
Wed Nov 10 13:53:40 GMT 1999

The Samba docs just improved by a huge leap.

O'Reilly have released "Using Samba" under an open content
license. They have sent me the full sources for the book and I will be
working to get it formatted to be useful as a good online resource as
soon as I can.

Within the Samba Team we have decided to adopt the book as the
"official" book for Samba. We plan to keep it up to date and maintain
it in CVS. Already Jeremy and I have spent quite a lot of time
proof-reading and correcting the first edition (which should be in
bookstores soon) and I expect that will continue in the future, with
help from anyone who wants to contribute.

If you want to discuss the book and participate in its development
then please join the samba-docs mailing list (see
http://lists.samba.org/). The other lists are already busy enough with
technical issues, so try to keep docs issues on the docs list.

I know there is bound to be some discussion on the precise license
terms, and I'd like to encourage those discussions on the samba-docs
list. If you find problems with it then O'Reilly will probably be very
willing to listen to good arguments.

I'd also like to encourage people to buy the printed edition from
O'Reilly. If O'Reilly find out that sales aren't badly affected by
offering the book for free online then they are likely to do more
books like this for other free software projects. That will be a huge
help for the open source movement.

Cheers, Tridge