Samba server rejects (Win95) request

Chris Dietrich rainer.w.dietrich at t-online.de
Tue Nov 9 20:50:16 GMT 1999

Hi,

I am new to Linux, I am using RedHat version 6.0 and Samba 2.0.5a. I try to
set up a Samba Server for a LAN.
So far everything (i.e. installation) worked fine, I installed samba from
.rpm and nmbd, smbd is started at boot successfully. I can see the Samba
server in the Windows95 network environment, but when I doubleclick on it
or when I try to smbmount a service from another Linux machine I get
1.) in Windows the error "\\[hostname] is not available.     This computer
does not (want to) receive demands. Repeat this process later." (orig. in
German: "\\[hostname] ist nicht verfügbar  Der angegebene Coputer empfängt
keine Anforderungen. Wiederholen Sie den Vorgang später.");
2.) in Linux the error (when using smbmount from another machine (I already
tested to smbmount a windows95 directory on a win95 machine from this Linux
machine and it worked.)):
smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL
smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL
mount error: Invalid argument

What can I do ? I modified the server's /etc/smb.conf many times. Here is it:

# /etc/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
	server string = Samba Server ZAPHOD
	map to
guest = Bad User
	null passwords = Yes
	password level = 2
	username level
= 5
	log level = 2
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 100

announce as = win95
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
	dns proxy = No
	hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2.
127.

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	path = /home/%u
	read only = No

browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path =
/var/spool/samba
	print ok = Yes
	browseable = No

[public]
	comment =
Public Stuff
	path = /home/public
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

I already tried several SAMBA versions (2.0.3, 2.0.5a), but always the same
problem occured. Smbmounting a windows95 directory from the smb server
works fine.

Can anyone please help me ?
I really don't know what to do next.

Thanks a lot in advance