X network browser

Paul PELaufer at csupomona.edu
Mon May 3 00:33:06 GMT 1999

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Mike Oswell wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good X network browsing app? .. Something like
> network neighborhood for Unix.  I have seen smb2www which uses a web
> interface, and tried a tlk one a few months back, but was not really happy
> with either.

I started on a Gtk based SMB client over spring break. I wont have time to
work on it again until summer (beginning of June). It is not a frontend
for smbclient or smbmount, but uses samba's smb client functions directly.
I should have a first release in mid to late June.

In the meantime, there are two screenshots at
http://www.csupomona.edu/~pelaufer/samba/screenshots. The interface will
change between now and the release.

> If nobody knows of such a beast, I would be interesting in building one
> with something like gtk/qt. I have been playing with the idea for a few
> weeks now and beleive it wouldn't be too difficult (famous last words?) :)
>
> Comments?

It isn't all that difficult compared to some projects because all the hard
work has been done for us. We have all the network code being
written/maintained by the Samba team, we have an example cli client, and
we have free (as in speech) tools. The only work is making it threaded if
you want it to be responsive while samba is doing something. That is
where I was when my spring quarter started.

Paul Laufer

--
        "...A bug is a bug.  Even if it is not a hole, it should be hunted
down and squashed, because one or more bugs can combine to become one or