nmbd & netbios name -> many addreses

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Mar 12 06:00:22 GMT 1999

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Luke's right about the network trace.  Any chance you could grab one with
> netmon?
>
> - Turn on netmon, start capture.
>
> - Try to connect to troubled share (this will result in a query going to
>   the Samba NBNS).
>
> - Get error message.
>
> - Stop capture.
>
> - Save capture to file and let us know that you have it.
>
> Luke, what method do you prefer for retrieving the capture?  He could
> send it as an attachement to both of us (I would really like to see it).

'sfinebyme.

> Chris -)-----

> > > That's not the behavior that Peter described.  He does an nbtstat name
> > > query from a Windows NT box to a Samba NBNS and gets a list of IPs.  The
> > > list may be sorted, but the Windows box cannot connect to the named share
> > > because it is not able to resolve the name to single IP.
> >
> > that used to exclusively be a bug in wfwg.
> >
> > > At least, that's what seems to be happening.
> >
> > network trace is required.
> >

> --
> Christopher R. Hertel -)-----                   University of Minnesota
> crh at nts.umn.edu              Networking and Telecommunications Services

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton        |  Direct Dial   : (678) 443-6183
Systems Engineer / ISS XForce Team  |  ISS Front Desk: (678) 443-6000
Internet Security Systems, Inc.     |  ISS Fax       : (678) 443-6477

http://www.iss.net/    *Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise*
     ISS Connect   -   International User Conference   -  May '99