Preventing password changes on remote computers (encrypted

Beau Kuiper ekuiperba at cc.curtin.edu.au
Wed Mar 10 17:42:06 GMT 1999

At 03:55 AM 11/03/99 +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Beau Kuiper wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I needed to be able to prevent the users on a network I am setting
>> up from changing the special guest account we have set up. We
>> are using samba as a PDC on a win 95/win 98 network. We use
>> encrypted passwords so we could have a separate unix user list to
>> the samba users list.
>>
>> Now instead of asking someone for a solution to my problem, I
>> actually coded one myself. I have attached a patch doing this.
>
>excellent (luke, trying to be encouraging).

thanks

>1) *unfortunately* i've _just_ modified this _exact_ area of code in the
>last day or so, and your patch clashes with in in cvs main.

ok, i will download the latest CVS sources for both stable and development
code, and patch them manually, and create new patches for you when i
get time :)

>2) your new format for private/smbpasswd is incompatible with the old
>format.  can you arrange so that the length is left at 14 characters? some
>of those bits are mutually exclusive (fortunately) - ACB_NORMAL, WSTRUST,
>SVRTRUST and DOMTRUST.  hopefully jeremy didn't realise this so we have
>some spare room in there :-)

ok, i will try puting it back to 14 char if there are redundent bits

>3) is the new bit you're adding a standard NT one?

Apparently yes, I am using win-nt 4 at home, it has the user cannot change
password option under usrmgr.exe

Beau Kuiper
ekuiper at cc.curtin.edu.au

Beau Kuiper - ekuiperba at cc.curtin.edu.au