The CIFSbench package

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Wed Mar 10 16:08:36 GMT 1999

Interesting discussion, re CIFSBench.  I have a question...

Given the complexities and permutations of SMB, how possible is it (or
how easy is it) to tune a client for a particular server?

For example, let's say I'm writing a client.  I might imagine three ways
to get it to do a particular task:

  Way 1:  Fastest all around.  Could get better speed out of my own server
          but this mechanism is the best compromise for any server out
          there.
  Way 2:  Top speed against my server but abysmal against all others.
  Way 3:  Slower against my server, but very, very slow against other
          servers.  Some other servers crash violently, causing sparks to
          fly from their power supplies and nearby small animals may
          explode.

How to choose, how to choose...

If you happen to be the client and server leader, you'd probably pick #2.
If you were worried about market share, then #3 might be a better option.
If'n you're the market leader but not a commercial organization, or if you
just plain care about your customers, then #1 is the obvious choice.

In any case, it's not just the client software that could be tuned this
way.  The benchmark suite could also suffer from such fiddling (which is,
of course, why the thing should be Open Source).

These issues are probably obvious to everyone else, but I like to
celebrate when the little bulbs flicker on in my head.

Chris -)-----