The CIFSbench package

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Wed Mar 10 16:44:55 GMT 1999

Just a side point on cifs performance and application mix...
Jeff Katcher (of NetApp) ran Postmark on some of his machines, and
the application mix was such that smb was noticeably slower than
nfs on the same machine.

If we choose an inappropriate mix, we'll be benchmarking for something
the protocol is optimized against (:-))

See http://www.netapp.com/technology/level3/3022.html: .gif file of
my spreadsheet attached: this is what happens when you measure
the performance of a fileserver with the load from a mail/news spool,
which is what PostMark simulates.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com