file opening problem

Molnar Laszlo molnar.laszlo at richter.hu
Mon Mar 8 16:35:58 GMT 1999

joe is dynamically linked :
58|molnarl at molter1:/smb/molter2/molnarl> file
/usr/freeware/bin/joe
/usr/freeware/bin/joe:  ELF N32 MSB mips-3 dynamic executable
MIPS - version 1

and sybyl for instance is also dynamically linked but with the same
problem:

57|molnarl at molter1:/smb/molter2/molnarl> file
/usr/tripos/sybyl/bin/sybyl.exe
/usr/tripos/sybyl/bin/sybyl.exe:        ELF N32 MSB mips-3
dynamic executable MIPS - version 1

However I have found something in the log.smb file:

molter2 (192.x.x.x) connect to service molnarl as user molnarl
(uid=1114,
[1999/03/05 17:29:01, 1] smbd/service.c:(512)
  molter2 (0.0.0.0) closed connection to service molnarl

in the row where the connection is mentioned the IP address is
correct but where the connection closed there are four 0!!

The service.c row 512 is the function close_cnum.
It is strange a bit!?

Laszlo Molnar

Molnar Laszlo wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have just installed the samba 2.0.3 to two SGI box. Everything
> looks good with smbclient but with smbsh I can not read files
(e.g.
> opening with joe or copy with cp) between the two SGI or
between
> any SGI and some win95. However I can make directories in
> smbsh or creating new files. The create mask is 0700.
>
> What can be the problem?
>
> greetings,
>
> Laszlo Molnar

smbsh only works with dynamically linked programs. You can use
the
"file" command to see how a program is linked. For example

> file /bin/cp /usr/bsd/rcp
/bin/cp: ELF 32-bit MSB mips-2 executable MIPS - version 1
/usr/bsd/rcp: ELF 32-bit MSB mips-2 dynamic executable MIPS -
version
1

Notice that cp is not dynamic. Use rcp to copy files instead.

> file /bin/*grep
/bin/egrep: ELF 32-bit MSB mips-2 dynamic executable MIPS -
version
1
/bin/fgrep: ELF 32-bit MSB mips-2 dynamic executable MIPS -
version
1
/bin/grep: ELF 32-bit MSB mips-2 executable MIPS - version 1

Notice grep is not dynamic, use egrep or fgrep instead.

Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Technical Marketing                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Network Systems Division                     Mountain View, CA
94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177