SV: SIGBUS Panic in smbd

Tim Potter Tim.Potter at anu.edu.au
Mon Jun 28 23:47:25 GMT 1999

Jeremy Allison writes:

> > Disclaimer: this relates to how the code looks in the head branch,
> > I don't know how that differs from 2.0.4b.
>
> 2.0.x is what I care about at the moment. I will fix it in
> HEAD when I do a full analysis of what that code is doing.
>
> As far as I can see the pw_passwd is only read once and
> discarded (along with the pwent structure pointer) in
> 2.0.x - so the proposed fix should be safe.

This sounds similar to the bug I found in the HEAD branch wrt password
caching.  There is code in passdb/pass_check.c that can change the
value of the pw_passwd field in the pass_check() function depending on
which weird password shadowing functions the host OS supports.

I thought it was only a problem in the new password caching code but
perhaps it is present in SAMBA_2_0 as well.

Tim.

--
Tim Potter, System Admin/Programmer              "Disco Stu doesn't advertise"
Advanced Computational Systems CRC, RSISE Bldg Australian National University,