SV: SIGBUS Panic in smbd

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Tue Jun 29 00:07:48 GMT 1999

Tim Potter wrote:

> This sounds similar to the bug I found in the HEAD branch wrt password
> caching.  There is code in passdb/pass_check.c that can change the
> value of the pw_passwd field in the pass_check() function depending on
> which weird password shadowing functions the host OS supports.
>
> I thought it was only a problem in the new password caching code but
> perhaps it is present in SAMBA_2_0 as well.

Hmmm. But even if is does change the pw_passwd field,
that field is supposed to be a pointer into a static
area, so it shouldn't matter so long as no-one calls
free() on it (which in the 2.0.x branch, only the
conditional code in HAVE_GETPWANAM does - I've now
removed that).

I still cannot see why this thing is crashing Ken's
system, unless the underlying passwd functions are
keeping a private malloced area that they are doing
a free() on on second and subsequent calls....

Ken - do you have purify on that box ?

I'll look into making sure the pw_passwd field is
restored after use (although this gets a bit
tricky).

Jeremy.