samba doesn't start

Benjamin Eastvold beastvol at westmont.edu
Thu Jun 17 17:17:58 GMT 1999

We have two IBM RS-6000 machines sharing files for our campus library.
They are both running AIX v.4.2.1.  An older version of samba was
already running on them, but we decided to upgrade for security reasons.
They both now have the latest version (2.0.4b) installed on them.

After the installation, one of them ran fine.  The other computer worked
correctly for a little while, but then samba decided not to work for some
unknown reason.  Checking the smbstatus command we got the error message:
"ERROR: failed to initialise share modes! Can't initialise shared memory -
exiting"

We tried killing the smbd and nmbd daemons and restarting them, but it
still would not work.  Now, after having run fine for a few days, our
other server is giving us the same problems.  Did we install the program
wrong, or is this a bug of some sort?  It is very important that we get
these computers up as soon as possible.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Ben Eastvold