I need extra value for "map to guest"

Piet Ruyssinck Piet.Ruyssinck at rug.ac.be
Thu Jun 17 12:15:57 GMT 1999

Hello,

I want to avoid having to put all my samba accounts in my /etc/passwd
as well as in my smbpasswd file or LDAP server.  Users who are
authenticated successfully but who are not in /etc/passwd should be
mapped to guest.

I tried to achieve this with the "map to guest" directive but didn't
succeed.

This table illustrates the behaviour for the existing values for "map
to guest" and the behaviour that I need.

                               authentication    user in
                               successful ?      /etc/passwd ?

map to guest = Never           0                 0               rejected
                               0                 1               rejected
                               1                 0               rejected
                               1                 1               personalized login

map to guest = Bad User        0                 0               guest login
                               0                 1               rejected
                               1                 0               personalized login
                               1                 1               personalized login

map to guest = Bad Password    0                 0               guest login
                               0                 1               guest login
                               1                 0               rejected
                               1                 1               personalized login

What I need :                  0                 0               rejected
                               0                 1               rejected
                               1                 0               guest login
                               1                 1               personalized login

Any idees on how I can get the desired behaviour ?

Piet RUYSSINCK                  Piet.Ruyssinck at rug.ac.be
Unix Systeem Administratie                +32 9 264 4733
ACADEMISCH REKENCENTRUM (ARC)     Universiteit Gent (RUG)
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, bureel 4     9000 Gent, Belgie