IPC$ share and access

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Jun 15 08:07:18 GMT 1999

Hi,

I was just having some problems with browsing a Samba server from Win 95,
so I fired up Net Mon to see what was going on.

When I double click on the System Icon on NN, it would pause for a long
while, then came back to me and asked for for a password. If I entered my
password (which had a capital as the first letter) I could view the shares
on the SMB server.

When I looked at the netmon trace, here is what was happening:

1.  The first sessionsetup&X was sending my password over in all caps, and
Samba was objecting.  This gave me the clue to add password level = 8,

2.  Then another attempt was made with a different format of the
sessionsetup&X, which also failed, as the password was still in all caps, I
think.

3. Then I was prompted and I typed in my password, which was sent over
verbatim, and all worked OK.

Some wierd things going on in Win9x. I will have to fire up Ethereal and
see what format sessionsetup&X was being sent ...

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Samba (Team member www.samba.org), Ethereal (Team member www.zing.org)
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours