Potential problem or user error?

Jimmie Mayfield mayfield at sackheads.org
Fri Jun 11 13:42:21 GMT 1999

Hi.  I'm new to the list but haven't seen this mentioned in the archives...

I recently upgraded one of our Samba servers from 2.0.0beta5 to 2.0.4b and
started seeing problems running certain apps under Windows NT when
the current directory is set to the Samba drive.  The programs that fail
seem to be limited to 16-bit OS2 programs.  Don't laugh...some developers
around here insist on using them and some are proprietary utilities
that I can't find the source to.

Anway, I have read about the problems regarding 16-bit apps and non-8.3
directories and I don't think that applies here.  In my case, I'm in the
'root' directory on the samba drive when I try to execute the program
and nothing in that directory has a filename over 8 bytes long (no extensions).

I see a variety of problems no doubt related to how well the program was
written.  Some crash with an "OS2 exception", others like grep.exe simply
return as if there were no files to search.  Granted I can rebuild the grep
program (and indeed I should) but the others I cannot.

This problem did not occur with 2.0.0beta5.

The smbd in question is running under AIX 4.3.2.  The only build options
specified were to enable syslog logging.

Any suggestions?  In the meantime, I've gone back to running 2.0.0beta5.

Jimmie

--
Jimmie Mayfield
http://www.sackheads.org/mayfield       email: mayfield+usenet at sackheads.org