bug found in password caching code in HEAD branch

Tim Potter Tim.Potter at anu.edu.au
Sun Jun 13 04:06:59 GMT 1999

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton writes:

> > I may be on weed or something, but it feels wrong to me that we solve
> > the password lookup problem with a hash table. Why doesn't the samba
> > code do the password lookup once, and then remember that entry for
> > any further info, instead of issue the password lookup multiple times?
>
> same difference, if you ask me.  this only became a problem when the unix
> <-> nt mapping code was added, due to the high number of unix password and
> unix group calls required.

On a slightly different note, I notice the cache expiry time,
PASSWD_HASH_AGE in username.c, is set to 15 seconds.  Does this strike
anyone as being a bit low?  I mean the entire password database has to
be re-read four times a minute.  Unless your samba server is getting
totally hammered, I don't think this is going to provide any serious
optimisation.

Tim.

--
Tim Potter, System Admin/Programmer, Head Bee Guy
Advanced Computational Systems CRC, RSISE Bldg Australian National University,