Dos find next file doesn't work on Samba 2.0.3

Wolfgang Albrecht Wolfgang_Albrecht at gmx.de
Thu Jun 10 19:31:52 GMT 1999

Hi,

there is a compatibility problem using Dos apps on a Win 95 machine with
a Linux server. I have 3 Dos apps in my office, that work fine on C:,
on a Novell server and on a NT server. But they don`t work on a Samba
server.

I`m using Samba 2.0.3 and Kernel 2.2.5 (Suse 6.1).

I`ve tried to understand what is going wrong. The applications enter
a subdirectory, try to find out which files are in that subdirectory
and show them on screen. E. g., those applications do that in a
subdirectory
containing printer drivers. They search for files matching "????????.DT".
If I use it on C: or on a Novell server, with a lot of files in that
directory, they say they find the following files:
   NEC.DT
   EPSON.DT
   and so on....
On the Samba server, those applications say they find the following:
   NEC.DT
That`s all.
The applications do some other searches in other subdirectories, and
they always find only the first entry.

I`ve tried to analyse the logfile, and I talked to the developers of that
applications. As far as I can see, the following happens:
Application looks for "????????.DT" using the findfirst-call (function
4EH).
Server sends "NEC.DT".
Applications uses the findnext-call (function 4FH).
Server (except Samba) sends "EPSON.DT".
Samba-server seems to look if there is a second file named "NEC.DT" and
returns that there are no more files.

Since these apps work fine on all other network operating systems, I think
this is a bug in Samba. It would be fine if it could be fixed.

The developers of those Dos applications said they will write a little
demo-program which will look for files in the way described above. This
demo will be free of copyrights, so I can give it to anyone for testing
purposes. They said they will do so next week. If anyone can fix this
problem (sorry, but I can`t), please let me know. If you need this
demo-program, please send me a mail, I will send the program to you
as soon as I can.

Thanks in advance,

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net