Samba & trapdoor uid (fwd)

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jun 8 17:11:31 GMT 1999

> I have the same problem with Samba 2.0.4b on OpenBSD 2.5 (trapdoor message
> during configure; compile OK; then password errors using smbclient after
> *carefully* checking options in smb.conf).

If you compile as non-root you won't see the error message and won't have
the problem.

> >> 1) that the OS has trapdoor UIDs. I think that is unlikely for OpenBSD
> >> 2) our source/tests/trapdoor.c code is broken on OpenBSD
> >> 3) somethng is screwed up on your system

It appears to be #2, based on the work we've done so far.

> I will check this out during the next couple of days. That error message
> comes up during the configuration phase. Does it affect how Samba compiles
> and runs, if the warning itself is spurious?

Our experience so far is that if you get that error during the
configuration on OpenBSD you are likely to have problems during run-time.
Quick fix is to disable the trapdoor.c test.  This is very easily done by
compiling as non-root.  Note, though, that this work-around hasn't been
fully tested and I have no idea if other tests will be lost.  It's simply
quick and appears to work.

Chris -)-----

--
             -- I have a shoehorn, the kind with teeth. --
                                  ---