Samba & trapdoor uid (fwd)

Michael Strasser M.Strasser at gpo.com
Tue Jun 8 01:32:06 GMT 1999

I have the same problem with Samba 2.0.4b on OpenBSD 2.5 (trapdoor message during
configure; compile OK; then password errors using smbclient after *carefully*
checking options in smb.conf).

>> that usually indicates one of the following:
>>
>> 1) that the OS has trapdoor UIDs. I think that is unlikely for OpenBSD
>> 2) our source/tests/trapdoor.c code is broken on OpenBSD
>> 3) somethng is screwed up on your system

In my case I would not have jumped at number 3 because mine was a brand new
install of OpenBSD (i386) from CD onto a new partition. I don't think I've added
anything to the system that might cause a problem. I have a custom kernel but its
only change is to use the RTC on the PC set to local time (the system is a test
bed and spends most of its life running Windows).

>> Have a look at config.log and see if anything unusual shows up near
>> the trapdoor stuff. Otherwise try trapdoor.c as a standalone program
>> and add some debug code to it.

I will check this out during the next couple of days. That error message comes up
during the configuration phase. Does it affect how Samba compiles and runs, if the
warning itself is spurious?

Michael Strasser
StrassCom Pty Ltd               A.C.N. 081 228 471
Consulting and Training  in Information Technology
50 Holland Street, Greenslopes Qld 4120, Australia
Phone: +61 4 1428 4256        Fax: +61 7 3397 7167