master browser, os level etc

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Jul 2 01:13:02 GMT 1999

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am confused (again) around the problems that can occur when you have
> things like os level = 33, preferred master = true etc.
>
> Does this confuse clients that think that the domain master browser is in
> fact the PDC, and thus the logon server?

no.  the only problem that this should cause is for the  DMB to not be the
LMB for its local subnets, thus delaying the propagation of browser
information.

your question in fact is the confusion.  the pdc MUST be the domain master
browser and vice-versa (both require domain<1b> nbt name).  this has
nothing to do with local master browser roles (domain<1d> nbt name
broadcast-registered-only).

luke