Samba 2.0.0 and Samba

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sun Jan 24 09:04:49 GMT 1999

Hi,

I feel that a further clean up is needed in the Samba source.

I may be making a mountain out of a molehill, but in order to get Samba to
build, I had to link smbd/ssl.o into binaries you would not believe. Now I
have to test that it will work :-(  Then I can get onto writing a chapter
on Samba and SSL ...

make_printerdefs should not need to link against ssl.o, nor should smbstatus.

Indeed, it should be possible to only link smbd against ssl.o and none of
the others.

I suggest that we should be moving towards libraries, indeed, shared
libraries, and that source modules may need to be split down to the
smallest things we can.

However, I do not have the time to contemplate this at the moment. Maybe it
is something for Samba 3.0?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba (Team member), Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, C, ...