Troubling Problems: Samba Simply Not Working?

Dan "Effugas" Kaminsky effugas at best.com
Tue Jan 12 10:49:58 GMT 1999

OK, I know Samba is about to be released, but here's da scoop:

I have a bunch of Win95/98 machines on campus that, all of the sudden(last
quarter), just stopped being able to see my server--period.

Now, sometimes I show up as a workgroup(DoxPara), which usually shows up as
"The Network Is Busy" if I remember right.  Logs show a definite connection,
but it seems the connection is abrubtly cut off as...

[1999/01/10 23:22:13, 3] param/loadparm.c:lp_load(2498)
  pm_process() returned Yes
[1999/01/10 23:22:13, 3] param/loadparm.c:lp_add_ipc(1472)
  adding IPC service
[1999/01/10 23:22:13, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(191)
  write_socket: Error writing 4 bytes to socket 6: ERRNO = Broken pipe
[1999/01/10 23:22:13, 0] lib/util_sock.c:send_smb(564)
  Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. Exiting

That just seems to happen.  There's a possible relationship with IPX names;
I'm not sure.  Some machines don't work that have IPX, some do, at least one
machine started working once IPX was removed as a protocol, but *ONLY* one
machine started working(this didn't fix others).  Older versions of Novell
Client 32(1.0, 2.0) are very often unable to see the Samba server, the
newest version of Cli32 is much more likely to see it.  (Or, to be more
pedantic, more likely to allow MS Client to see it.)

I'll provide more info if there's, uh, interest :-)  It should be noted that
all 95 and NT servers are 100% viewable from all afflicted machines.

Side note--email me if you think my .sig is stupid, in a bad way.

---
In the works of Spelling, a predominant concept is the distinction between
ground and figure. In a sense, the example of textual discourse which is a
central theme of Beverly Hills 90210 emerges again in Models, Inc.. Many
situationisms concerning the bridge between class and sexual identity may be
discovered.
(   http://www.cs.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/postmodern  )