Troubling Problems: Samba Simply Not Working?

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Mon Jan 11 11:08:53 GMT 1999

> [1999/01/10 23:22:13, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(191)
>   write_socket: Error writing 4 bytes to socket 6: ERRNO = Broken pipe

To track down problems like that you will have to reach for a
sniffer. Either MS NetMon or tcpdump-smb (or snoop, and use the snoop
-> cap converter)

When looking at the sniffer logs keep an open mind. There have been
some classic bugs in the past that kill connections to Unix boxes in
just this manner while the bug is actually in two totally unrelated
boxes that aren't even using the Samba server (I'm referring in
particular to the NT sniper bug)

Trying to track down problems like this without a sniffer is almost
impossible.