smbclient and local WINS lookup

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Feb 16 02:56:25 GMT 1999

Hi,

at the Tasmanian AUUG/SAGE-AU conference yesterday when I gave a talk about
Samba, Bron Gondwana (that is one mega-awesome name, Reunite Gondwana)
suggested that smbclient was broken again in the following way:

If you run smbclient (2.0.2) on the same machine that is the WINS server,
it will not do NetBIOS name lookups properly.  Can anyone else shed any
light? I have not yet looked at the source, and will do so soon, but was
seeking confirmation of this.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba (Team member), Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, C, ...