Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) ResolutionSystem

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu Dec 30 05:56:21 GMT 1999

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > why is that?  GOT IT!  ok.  why do you think that a Unix
> > machine can only be in one NT domain?
>
> Because it makes mapping the Domain SID database to a POSIX
> uid/gid database much easier. To put a UNIX box in more than
> one domain complicates that mapping immensely.
>
> Simple is good.

FANTASTIC.  HOORAY.  we finally have the answer.  you have decided that
putting a Unix box into more than one domain is something that simply...
should not be done.  not for any technical reason, but because you don't
think it should be done.

not because it's impossible to design and use a sustem that allows a Unix
box to be in more than one NT domain, but because you think it would be
complicated.

good.

excellent.

so, if i can come up with a scheme that is also simple to use, will you
accept it?