[XAD] Re: Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) ResolutionSystem (fwd)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Dec 29 18:26:35 GMT 1999

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:24:49 +1100
From: Luke Howard <lukeh at padl.com>
To: xad at padl.com
Subject: Re: [XAD] Re: Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid)
    ResolutionSystem

I had always thought an algorithmic mapping between NT and UNIX
identifiers was the Way To Go from an administrative perspective
until I spoke to people who managed existing deployments, where
uids and SIDs had already been allocated. At least with a single
directory, you can put the identifiers in the same place.

That said, I still believe an algorithmic mapping is a good
idea for deployments that want it (for example, deployments with
a minimal UNIX infrastructure, or a minimal NT one). The mapping
logic could be in a number of places: in SAMBA, in an NSS module
for UNIX, or in the directory server itself.

-- Luke

luke howard                                                  lukeh at PADL.COM
PADL software pty ltd                                   http://www.PADL.COM