ip->netbios?

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Tue Aug 3 12:00:42 GMT 1999

Jean Henchey wrote:

> I have been trying nmblookup -A without much success.  I usually get a
> name-not-found sort of message.
>
> What I would really like is to get a list of netbios names and IP
> addresses of all the workstations on the lan.  I suppose it is much like
> going into the network neighborhood and grabbing hostnames.  The
> conversion into IPs is easy enough.
>
> I suppose I could set a script to watch snmbstatus, grab netbios names,
> and nmblookup for IP addresses..but this seems silly.
>
> Any better way to do this?

Look at the perl script findsmb that should be in your samba/bin
directory. Read the comments at the beginning. If all your clients
are win95 clients you will need to run this script on a machine
without nmbd running. If your machines are on a different subnet
and the router is blocking broadcasts you will need to run this
on a machine on the same subnet as the machines of interest.

Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Technical Marketing                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Network Systems Division                     Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177