running multiple sambas out of same directory

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Thu Apr 29 16:25:10 GMT 1999

tim,

you are exporting private/smbpasswd over a network???? in other words, you
are sending user's cleartext-equivalent nt and lm password hashes over a
network, in the clear????

bad idea.

yes, we have heard of NFS locking problems on /usr/local/samba/ in the
past (2 years ago).

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Tim Potter wrote:

> Are there any problems with running multiple instances on sambas out
> of a shared /usr/local/samba/private directory?  I've got a NFS
> exported /usr/local directory with a 'security=domain' and a
> 'security=user' server.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is the cause of a weird problem I'm having
> or not.  )-:
>

> Tim.
>
> --
> Tim Potter, System Admin/Programmer, Head Bee Guy
> Advanced Computational Systems CRC, RSISE Bldg Australian National University,
> Canberra 0200, AUSTRALIA Ph: +61 2 62798813 Fax: +61 2 62798602

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton        |  Direct Dial   : (678) 443-6183
Systems Engineer / ISS XForce Team  |  ISS Front Desk: (678) 443-6000
Internet Security Systems, Inc.     |  ISS Fax       : (678) 443-6477

http://www.iss.net/    *Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise*
     ISS Connect   -   International User Conference   -  May '99