Porting Samba to BeOS and other non-unix platforms

Christopher R. Hertel crh at NTS.Umn.EDU
Tue Sep 22 14:28:18 GMT 1998

Alfred,

Thanks for your interest.  You might take a look at the Amiga port of
Samba.  There is a link to the site on the Samba web page.  On the Amiga
platform the port is partially handled by the existance of a free,
third-party, unix emulation library.  Unfortunately, this library is not
complete, so there are still problems.

As Andrew outlined, the goal would be to isolate functions that must be
re-implemented on different platforms.  The Samba code might then call a
stub function which would call the appropriate function for the target
system.  The first step is to identify the functions that would need such
treatment.

Chris -)-----

PS.  Where are you located and is there any chance that you'll be going
     to the CIFS conference next month?