auto-loading of smb.conf

Jean-Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at utc.fr
Wed Sep 9 09:20:30 GMT 1998

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> can you explain this a little more? What sort of clash do you mean?

In a struct I store the handle (20 bytes) and the corresponding
lp_servicename(). I need to do so as all the spoolss functions are
referencing an handle.

Now imagine, a user open a printer (to check the spooled jobs for
instance) and the samba admin decides to delete this share, and the
smb.conf file is reloaded.

As I'm lazy, I don't want to add code everywhere to check if the share
name stored in the handle struct still exist, I prefer to disable
auto-reloading of smb.conf until all printers are open by a given smbd
process.

> I've actually been tempted to change smbd and nmbd to only reload on
> HUP and when a new connection is established (ie. when the daemon
> forks). What do other people think about this?

Yes. It's more Unixlly correct. Jeremy will like it :-)

> I originally put in the
> auto-reload code because I thought it would be a convenience but I
> think it may actually be counter-productive. It certainly doesn't
> follow the principle of least surprise - most Unix daemons only reload
> on HUP.

	J.F.