--enable-maintainer-mode

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Oct 26 16:15:49 GMT 1998

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > Ugh - how can you live without proper dependency checking?
>
> I do "make clean" a lot :-)
>
> > But I've found a better problem - in maintainer mode the -fpic stuff
> > doesn't work because the rule applies the dependency stuff to the $(MV)
> > command and not as arguments to $(CC).
> >
> > Shall I commit this one?  Are there any tips for commiting stuff (apart
> > from making sure it compiles) into the repository?  I haven't worked on a
> > multi-user CVS tree before.
>
> yep, go ahead.
>
> tips:
>
> 1) _always_ do a cvs update just before a commit.

_do not_ do this:

tar -cvzf smb.tgz samba/source/*/*.[ch]
[take smb.tgz home with you, work on it, bring it back, modified]
cvs -t update -d -P
tar -xvzf smb.tgz
cvs -t commit

what this does is DESTROY any modifications anyone else makes in between
when you took the code home and when you do the cvs -t update -d -P.

you *must* to the tar -xvzf (or other copying mechanism) *before* the cvs
-t update -d -P.

if you accidentally do the cvs -t update -d -P before copying the files
over, then too bad: you must do a cvs checkout in a totally new directory
of exactly the time / date that you did (in this example) the tar -cvzf.

luke