Syncing UNIX and Samba passwords

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Oct 22 01:11:16 GMT 1998

Hi folks,

I am interested in doing this.  I have other reasons for wanting to do it
as well, and think I have the skills. Any other takers?

At 08:32 AM 10/22/98 +1000, you wrote:
>We'd like to contract out an enhancement to Samba (we're running
>1.9.18p10 now but the Samba group might wish for these fixes to be
>made to 2.0). We want to enable encrypted passwords but don't want
>users having to enter two commands to change their password. To
>accomplish this, we need a modified rpc.yppasswdd (spmd from the
>SPM distribution) and a generic interface to the Samba password file.
>
>It would be nice to have a library API to modify the Samba password
>file (one that takes into consideration multiple writers). smbpasswd
>would then be linked against this to interface with the smbpasswd
>file and the spmd process of the SPM would link against this library
>for access to the same smbpasswd file. It would also seem that smbd
>would need modification to use this library.
>
>So, we need someone willing to take on both these tasks (preferably).
>Feel free to contact me via email if you're interested in tackling
>this. Also, if the library API to smbpasswd isn't a good idea, that
>should be discussed and an alternative which offers the ability
>for multiple programs to update smbpasswd can be considered (I'd
>really like record-level locking but that might be asking too much
>from a text file).
>
>SPM can be found at ftp://usc.edu/pub/spm.
>
>--
>albert chin (china at pprd.abbott.com)

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba, Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, Netscape, Stronghold, C, ...